Friday, June 20, 2014

Part 2 - What I did with my baby when we had to stay inside

When we had to stay inside a lot for a few days (see part 1), another thing I did was try a new hobby.

My mother gave me her old but unused sewing machine - from 1977!

I wanted to sew myself a ring sling from one of my woven wraps. It took me some days to read through the old dusty manual, take out all the different needles and other parts, do a few test runs, measure my wrap, reading the sewing instructions one last time, and then: sewing the ring sling.

It was a lot of fun for both dd and myself. It was challenging to keep her little hands away from the needle while I was sewing, but it went well and I was confident she would be fine. Most of the time she played with small parts she grabbed. She was absolutely fascinated by the sounds and movements the machine made the few seconds I was actually using it.

Dd crawled into our bedroom (where I had placed the sewing machine) several times on her own to explore it all by herself. I had secured the needle before leaving the machine unsupervised - not sure if this was even necessary but this way I did not have to think about it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment