Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Outside in the rain

I am constantly learning how to live more outside instead of inside.

With dd, I'm exploring new places in our city which I would never have gone if it wasn't for her.

Yesterday we went for a long walk in the pouring rain, to the other riverside. What I didn't know is that this is apparently the place where everyone walks their dogs. None of the dogs were on a leash so I had to use my best judgement on whether or not to pick dd up when one of the dogs ran towards us.

I let her play as much as she wanted, and in the end took off her wet clothes and put on dry ones.

Something made me smile: We walked past a pit, much like the one Jean Liedloff described in her book "The Continuum Concept". The big storm had eradicated the tree that had been standing there, and all that was left was a big hole in the ground where the root system used to be. People have thrown all kinds of trash in there by now.

Dd started to crawl away from me and explored the place. From where I was sitting, I could no longer see the pit, and I had simply forgotten about it. Later on, when I wanted to leave and went to pick her up, I saw she had been playing besides it most of the time. Just like in the book.

Funny coincidence, isn't it?

I'm actually glad I didn't see it, so I didn't have to worry about some mad dog pushing her in a big, deep, dirty pit full of broken pieces of glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment